ParaNexus is an association of paranormal researchers and paranormal investigators who conduct paranormal research and paranormal investigations involving ghosts, spirits, alien abductions, UFOs, unknown creatures, unexplained phenomena, psychic phenomena, and other mysterious events. Visitors can report a UFO sighting, hauntings, and other paranormal events via our 24 Hour Helpline. ParaNexus also offers paranormal investigator certification, paranormal certification, training, paranormal classes, and paranormal courses.
Make Me Think
Half the secret of getting along with people is consideration of their views; the other half is tolerance in one's own views. - Daniel Frohmann (1851-1940), Theater and film producer
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayer for Protection prior to an Investigation.  (Read 25304 times)
Vickie Gagnon
Certified Member

Kudos 4

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 04:27:15 PM »

It isn't a science Barry.  But it has been my own personal experience when working with people who have activity going on in their home that giving them something "solid" to latch on to is important to their state of mind prior to, during and after the process.  I guess it's a form of grounding, like the anchor in a storm so to speak.  

Let me emphasize that I DO NOT flout my paganism.  I've learned to focus on the science of the investigation. I respect the religious beliefs of the household and keep my personal path private. Prayers for protection, smudging, crossing ourselves, and other overt religious behavior is a source of comfort in an uncomfortable situation. I consider it a professional courtesy if nothing else.  As far as cleansings go, or helping spirits cross over, it is still done by request and in a non-denominational way.  Like they say, funerals are for the living, not the dead.  The same rule applies with Prayers for protection or whatever.  What is done is not to give comfort to the dead or spirits that may be there, but to empower those who have to live with them.

Personally, I put my trust in the Lord.  The pentagram I choose to wear is like a sports jersey that identifies what team I'm on.  Do I honestly think it makes a difference?  As a scientist, no. When I enter the location, I am 95% scientist, yet I don't let myself loose site of the fact that I'm dealing with "spirits".  If I don't believe in them, why am I looking for them?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 04:34:47 PM by Vickie Gagnon » Logged

Beauty is eternity gazing at itself in the mirror. ~Kahlil Gibran~
Doug Kelley
ParaNexus Founder
Administration

Kudos 14

The world is my country & to do good, my religion.

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 04:48:59 PM »

I would like to underscore Grant's comment above:

It seems to me that it's sole purpose is to assuage the individuals fears related to their belief system.

There is certainly nothing wrong with taking a moment before an investigation to gather your focus and proper mindset. However, by "praying" for protection prior to an investigation or "cleansing" ourselves after implies the belief that spirits can somehow harm you. There is simply no objective proof that spirits can cause any physical harm (other than on TV). Therefore, by promoting such prayers for protection is really tantamount to promoting fear.

As I've often said, I'm afraid a spirit WON'T follow me home. If they did, I could conduct my research in the comfort of my own home rather than elsewhere.

Doug

Doug Kelley, PhD, CH, CSL
ParaNexus Founder
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 05:09:21 PM »

I do not know what more to say on this topic.

These are things that our team does not do on a regular basis. Just trying to understand all sides.
Doug Kelley
ParaNexus Founder
Administration

Kudos 14

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 05:28:20 PM »

Hey Barry,

I do not know what more to say on this topic.

These are things that our team does not do on a regular basis. Just trying to understand all sides.

This is just a general discussion of the topic and not directed at you.

Doug

ParaNexus Founder
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 05:32:32 PM »

I know lol that's why I said I don't know what more to say. Wish I could be of help or more insight to other's that have posted.
Ingrid Irwin
Certified Member

Kudos 16

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 06:23:38 PM »

Hey all,

I have followed this post with interest and it seems to be a big part of the investigation process for many people. This is a very new topic to me so an intriguing take on human perception, and what is there to fear and not fear?

If it’s any consolation Barry I too have never done a pray, asked for protection or even seen smudging carried out. dontknow
I have no prior or post procedures as to be honest I don't believe there is anything to fear, but that is just me personally.  

I record daily at home, under as controlled conditions as I can set in place and recorded 'voices' of an unknown origin.
Colleagues I confer with daily also record in their homes with controls set in place. We are not going out doing investigations or dealing with other people so we don't have to take in the emotional issues of others.

I guess I don't fear or feel a need for protection etc.. as I say 'unknown origin,' and I say that as I do not know what these voices are. There is little 'proof' of origin and could be consciousness of deceased physical people? They could be a PK response from my mind? They could be aspect personalities of me? They could be completely separate living conscious energy streams? They could be a physical conscious being residing within another reality? Are they thought forms of mans consciousness?

I honestly do not know, thus if I do not know the source how can I know its nature?

Barry, I can see what you are saying about at what point do we become too scientific? That does make sense to me as it's a very fine line to walk but that is probably another subject altogether.  

"Logical consequences are the scarecrows of fools and the beacons of wise men"- Thomas Huxley, Science & Culture,ix.
Vickie Gagnon
Certified Member

Kudos 4

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 07:54:49 PM »

I bow to more rational minds on the topic.  Doug, if your ever lucky enough to have one follow you home, would you share what you did?  I wish I could shed the spiritual side of my nature totally, but I've many years dealing with it to just shrug it off.  My responses were never intended to offend or seem attack on any one.  I will continue to learn to focus on the science of the field. 

Beauty is eternity gazing at itself in the mirror. ~Kahlil Gibran~
Barry Brudnak
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 07:57:54 PM »

Vickie,

As Doug said, this is just a genera topic. No offense was taken  Grin

Philip Osborne
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2010, 01:02:35 PM »

I feel the spirit of this post is "curiosity" into what others groups and investigators are doing.  Curiosity is what motivates us.  We also learn from each other, and differing opinions make us think. I feel the post was not to address or debunk personal belief systems.  It is a question of, this is what I do, and asks what are you doing?

This is what I have gotten from this post
Paul Biggs
Certified Member

Kudos 1

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2010, 02:16:12 PM »

Personally I feel that If your team has no problem with saying a prayer of protection then do.
Sharon K. West
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2010, 07:18:41 PM »

Here is my take on this subject:

If I'm going out in the woods looking for Bigfoot, I want someone with me who has a gun.

If I see a flying saucer out in the woods, I'm not going to run up to it and touch it. I'm going to take cover or do something to try and protect myself. (Perhaps a gun would be appropriate here, too. LOL)

If I feel as though a cold is coming on, I'm going to take some Vitamin C.

All of the above involve physical things, and most people have no problem with some protection.

In the spiritual world, who among us has exhausted every possibility and can absolutely, positively say that someone is never, ever going to have a problem with a nastie? If we tell people who read this site that they are not going to be hurt ever, what a great responsibility that is! We had better know that for an absolute fact.

I have had experience with some nasties. And this came completely unbeknownst to any of my preconceived ideas or beliefs. I believe it is better to tell people not to play around with this, and when in doubt, get in touch with someone who knows more than they do. The old saying that "fools rush in where angels fear to tread" applies in all areas of life and in particularly, the spiritual realm where we mere humans aren't familiar with all the possibilities.

Now, if a spirit is able to manipulate physical objects, such as throwing books across the room or lighting candles, why wouldn't they be able to do something to a physical body? Certainly people report a feeling of being touched, so spirits are able to exert that much pressure on a physical body at the least. Do we know for certain that they would not do more? Before I had much knowledge in this, I had an experience once where a spirit would have taken me out a window if someone present with me had not known what to do.

I consider that there are two types of paranormal investigators. One is completely scientific and arrives with a myriad of equipment to try and get some hard evidence. I kinda think that any ghosts present would probably not have a clue as to what this investigator is actually doing, especially if an "old" spirit is present, and probably would not be interacting as much personally with them as they would with the second type of paranormal investigator. This is the sensitive who is able to see things and communicate in ways which are recognized by the spirit. The sensitive is actually entering the state of being between worlds and may be more of a threat to a spirit or be uncovering something that a nastie would be angry about. This type of investigator needs to know a few things.

Now, the first type of paranormal investigator's scientific approach may well be a source of protection but he or she has to be careful not to be generating fear energy which some spirits really like to feast upon. A scientific person is generally not going to have much fear unless something really major happens.

I won't go rambling on any further, but just saying that prayer for protection can go along way in disconnecting that which will generate fear energy. A prayer for protection means something differently for those who have experienced the spiritual realm. It actually becomes part of what allows them to enter into the place between worlds tantamount to the Shaman experience.

We must keep an open mind and be balanced.

Sharon
Robert Taylor
Non-Certified Member

Kudos 1

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2010, 03:58:02 AM »

Hi,I just read this topic & would like to comment.... Me & my crew used to say a protection statement before doing our investigations but have recently stopped.
Reason for stopping is because we are looking at the overall believe system. Our full team got togeather & had a discussion & decided that if we are saying a protection statement that we must believe that things can harm us, hence reason for protecting ourselves.

Since joining Paranexus & becoming more professional, we have relised & now belief that the only thing to harm us in terms of ghosts/spirits are ourselfs. If we believe that we are going to get harmed, then we are sycologically thinking it which then we believe is going to make us open to believeing something is harming us but in the true light, there is nothing to harm us except our sycological minds.

Am i actually making sense??    I'm finding it hard to place in words to how our team looks at things & the teams believes!!   

Basically we believe that nothing can harm us in terms of ghosts/spirits so there is no need to do a protection statement. This is just HPGS's way of thinking, as others have said it doesn't do anyone any harm to do one if you feel or believe its right to do one, i guess !!

Take care everyone, Rob - Hull Paranormal Ghost Society

Rob Taylor - Manager of Hull Paranormal Ghost Society
Doug Kelley
ParaNexus Founder
Administration

Kudos 14

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2010, 08:19:48 AM »

Hey Rob,
Yes, what you are saying makes a lot of sense. I applaud you for this!

Keep up the good work!

Doug

ParaNexus Founder

Kudos 16

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2010, 05:46:38 PM »

Hey Robert,

Yes, what you are saying makes sense to me. I think its great to hear a group actually diving into and exploring their own 'belief systems' and reviewing what works for them. I think this displays an individual or group that is maturing and evolving in a positive way.  icon_salut  

"Logical consequences are the scarecrows of fools and the beacons of wise men"- Thomas Huxley, Science & Culture,ix.
Brian Parsons
ParaNexus Executive Director
Administration

Kudos 48

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2010, 09:49:16 PM »

Wow, I missed a lot. Great topic here and great things that have come up from it. I'm more like Philip and Dave. We meet as a group prior to discuss the case and our tactics of going about it prior to setting foot in the home whether it is a initial walkthrough, interview session, investigation or follow up session. Getting a bite to eat is always a good thing prior to going to anything that you will spend more than a few hours at.

For me personally, I don't feel the need for prayer for an event like this, but will participate if members of the group have a desire to do so. I will do a quick mental check (make sure my worries are put to rest) so my focus is solely on the event at hand and I will take a few moments to meditate or catch some air to help me focus. I also feel it is important to check the mental status of the investigators as well and will ask about their day or how things are going prior to getting to the event to make sure they are focused. I mentioned this on another post once before that an investigator I had been working with had some things going on that kept her from focusing. I told her to write down her worries on a sheet of paper and put them in the car, that way they wouldn't be with her, but they would be waiting when we were done helping our client. As silly as it sounded she took it seriously and it really worked.

Smudging, in my opinion, is part spiritual and part placebo for the client who's belief system refuses to let go of the ghost/spirit that occupies their home. Despite the events that take place some people have a hard time letting go of the spirutual connection and an event such as a cleansing or smudge can convince them that the connection has been severed. It also does have a spiritual effect although it is impossible to figure out which explanation is responsible if the events do cease.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: