ParaNexus is an association of paranormal researchers and paranormal investigators who conduct paranormal research and paranormal investigations involving ghosts, spirits, alien abductions, UFOs, unknown creatures, unexplained phenomena, psychic phenomena, and other mysterious events. Visitors can report a UFO sighting, hauntings, and other paranormal events via our 24 Hour Helpline. ParaNexus also offers paranormal investigator certification, paranormal certification, training, paranormal classes, and paranormal courses.
Make Me Think
There are always alternatives. - Doctor Who
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tips for Improving Composition & Quality for Night Photography  (Read 8448 times)
Tarun Bajaj
Certified Member

Kudos 3

« on: January 10, 2013, 06:14:11 AM »

Always Keep Four things in Mind !

What is the story?

What is my point of interest?

Framing your subject with other objects.

Balance and symmetry.

If you’re using a DSLR, or a film SLR with a lot of automation on it, I recommend you read your camera’s manual closely to find out how to do basic control of: setting the camera to manual exposure, setting the lens aperture, and setting the shutter speed. These three areas are important !

Always Remember - Fast shutter speeds will freeze the action and Slow speed will create soft nebulous effect.

Focusing is more than aiming an autofocus camera at the subject and pressing the shutter. Knowledge of focusing techniques can improve a composition, lead to creative photography and solve the problem.

Framing - One of the easiest ways to improve your photography is with careful attention to framing. Look into the corners of the viewfinder to see what is there ! Do you need all that background? Can you get closer to your subject or zoom in? Would the picture look better as portrait or landscape?

Always use a Tripod and Low ISO – To avoid Orbs, Noise & Camera Shake.

This may sound obvious, but a tripod is one of the most fundamental accessories for any night shoot. While it is possible to take certain night shots handheld using a wide aperture and high ISO, in most cases (and to save yourself frustration) you're going to want to use a tripod. Using the lowest ISO setting ensures the highest quality results for your image. Your exposure will be longer, but since you're using a tripod, this isn't a big factor. Personally, I find the longer shutter speed forces me to relax, and that I can find a state of peacefulness that's not as easily attained during the daytime.

While it possible to get creative with aperture and ISO to keep your exposures to 30 seconds or less, this will quickly become a limiting factor. In fact not only do I recommend a low ISO as in the above step, but I recommend keeping your lowest ISO for all night shots. Of course ISO settings higher than the lowest may still be acceptable quality-wise, but doing this will let you get a better feel for exposure time as you progress.

Use the fastest lens possible, prefer prime lenses, and don't use filters

Lower your LCD Brightness and check histograms - Setting your camera's LCD screen to it's lowest brightness setting ensures you don't underexpose your image based on the LCD preview. LCD screens are calibrated for use in the daytime, so they can cause an underexposed image to look ok under nighttime conditions. While not strictly a tip for night photography, it's also a great idea to view your histogram and make sure it's not shifted too far to the left, and try different exposure times. It's normal for a night photo's histogram to be more to the left than usual, but not excessively so.

In Camera Flash - The very worst kind of lighting is provided by the little flash fitted into all modern cameras. Not only does it give your subjects the dreaded red eyes, but also flattens all faces into shadow-less featureless blobs. Use the in camera flashlight only in an emergency, when there is no other choice.

You can also follow me and like my page on facebook for more photography Tips at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tarun-Bajaj-Photography-wwwtarunbajajcom/152276071536517?ref=hl

Or Visit my Website – www.tarunbajaj.com

Do not hesitate to reach me, in case you have any questions related to how to use camera or Photography .

REMEMBER

The more pictures you take and the more you experiment, the better you will get. The good thing is that you’re not wasting film, so there’s no reason to hold back !

Keep Clickin !!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: